Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Thoughts on Belize

Allysha is taking a nap, and I decided to come in out of the sun, so it seemed like a good opportunity to share our often unsolicited opinions on the country of Belize.  I know no one asked, but I'd be negligent in my duties if I didn't share :)

FOREIGN TRAVEL:
Although a country far from the US, this country is very much US oriented and very much like being at home.  There are some slight cultural differences, but being an English speaking country and having a currency pegged to the US dollar, this is so much like being at home.  This can be a wonderful thing for people interested in traveling to a foreign country, but feeling safe and comfortable like you do at home.  This, however, can be a major downfall for people who are looking for something more (not that Allysha and I are world travelers, but it's pretty boring here).  Even the Kardashians are on TV!

OCEAN/BEACHES:
The water here is very beautiful, with so many hughes of blue and green that the camera cannot do it justice.  I have no doubt that the on water snorkeling and diving is amazing.  Unfortunately, most of the beaches are covered in thick seaweed and lots of garbage, making swimming from the shore impossible.   The sand is much more like crushed coral, making it rough and a bit sharp.  If you come expecting beaches in Hawaii like we did, it will be a disappointment. 

FOOD/WATER:
We have found both the food here, and access to good water, to be very easy to find.  Most of the cafes and restaurants have American style food, and even the local Belizian food is tasty and would be find for most people.  I'm actually craving rice and beans as I type this :)  BTW Belkin is the local brewery and it is pretty darn good!

San Pedro, on Ambergis Caye, has by far been the best location of the trip, with lots of stores, lots of places to eat and a million places to stay.  It's very much like American, or a small town in Hawaii.  There are carts to rent to get around, and lots of nice stores.  Again, a great place to be but not much of an adventure (unless your taxi driver gets lost like ours did!)

As I said, no one asked but we had to tell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment